A small bit of green space on the site of the churchyard and burial ground of St Botolph’s, Aldersgate, which opened in 1880. Over the next 20 years it also incorporated the burial grounds of Christchurch, Greyfriars and St Leonard’s, Foster Lane. Because it is an old burial field, the ground level is considerably higher than the area around it.
It’s called Postman’s Park because over the road is the old headquarters of the GPO, and the park was very popular with the workers there.
But that’s not why it is famous. Continue reading